Preparing for an Engagement Session |Virginia Portrait and Wedding Photographer | Belle Eve Photography
You’ve scheduled your engagement session. You’re really excited! But suddenly, you feel unsure about how to prepare. Maybe you have an idea about what you and your beloved fiance will wear. Maybe you are torn between 2 or 3 outfits. Should you wear your hair up or down? And….jewelry? Shoes? Nails? Location?
O.k., take a deep breath and relax, because here are my top 6 tips that will hopefully set your mind at ease.
- Choose clothing carefully. Your outfits should be comfortable, but not baggy, which can appear unflattering in camera. Consider what you envision your engagement photos will look like. Do you desire for them to be elegant with soft color? Or, would you like them to appear bold and colorful? It is wise to choose coordinating colors and patterns without being too “matchy”. Use patterns (such as plaids, stripes, polka dots, etc) carefully. If both you and your fiance wear “overly” patterned clothing, it will clash and become a distraction instead of an enhancement. Wear accessories such as scarves, necklaces, earrings, and hats if you are comfortable doing so, as this can add more texture and glitz to your images. For ladies, dresses with high heels will elongate legs, and gentlemen look masculine in well fitted dress pants with close-toed shoes. (Make sure to bring comfortable shoes to walk in, though, for outdoor location sessions.) If you’d like some inspiration, check out my Pinterest Board!
- Be prepared. Give yourselves plenty of time to get ready, and prepare any additional items that may be helpful during your session, such as a brush, lipstick, extra shoes that are comfortable to walk in, tissues, etc. Get plenty of rest and eat prior to your session so that you will feel like being cheerful participants. Stay away from foods or drinks with dyes prior to your session, since many dyes will stain lips and teeth. Also be sure to drink plenty of water several days prior to your session. Not only is it a healthy suggestion, it also helps to hydrate your skin which will give you more of a glow.
- Don’t smile. Or, smile a lot. It really depends on your personalities. Some couples love to laugh a lot, and others laugh occasionally or very little. Some are really affectionate, while others are not. My goal is to produce an experience in which you feel comfortable so that as a couple you can relax in front of my camera. These are images that you will cherish for a lifetime and should reflect your relationship.
- Have your engagement ring cleaned prior to your session. In addition to photographing people, I love to photograph the details!
- Have your hair and make-up professionally done. This is a great opportunity for your hair and make-up artist to do a “trial run” for your wedding hair and make-up. You will also look your best for your engagement session, which will help you to feel confident for your session.
- Location, location, location… Location is important because we like to surround ourselves with beautiful scenery when we have our pictures taken. I will meet you at a location of your choice, but I will also be looking for the best places for lighting, especially when we are outside. I try to avoid harsh mid-day sunlight when possible so that your images will be flattering without harsh shadows on your faces. The optimum time for sessions is about an hour or two after sunrise or about two hours prior to sunset. If those time frames are not possible, I will work to ensure “good lighting”.